With headquarters in Vancouver, Washington, the Western Wood Preservers Institute (WWPI) is a nonprofit member trade organization representing the interests of the preserved wood products industry throughout western North America for 70 years. The membership consists of companies that either manufacture products, are directly affiliated or provide a service to the preserved wood industry. The primary activity areas of WWPI include regulatory and market outreach programs aimed at sustaining a viable western North America preserved wood industry.
WWPI Purpose Statement
To support and sustain the production and use of preserved wood products manufactured in western North America.
WWPI Mission Statement
It is WWPI's mission to protect and promote the manufacture and markets for preservative treated wood products produced by the industry in western North America. This shall be accomplished through coordinated industry strategies, utilizing the best scientific information available to:
- Increase public and consumer appreciation and confidence in our products and our industry
- Secure reasonable and economic federal, state, provincial and local environmental regulation regarding our products and processes
- Promote the development and application of codes, standards and quality assurance programs to ensure products best meet the needs of the users
WWPI Environmental Code
Members of WWPI share the public concerns for a sound economy, healthy environment and good stewardship of all natural resources. To that end, the members strive to achieve the following principles:
- To produce high quality products which, when used as intended, will significantly extend the useful life of the treated wood material
- To operate facilities in a manner which meets or exceeds applicable federal, state or provincial regulations
- To support and utilize research aimed at developing products and processes which are consumer and environmentally friendly
- To participate in the development of public regulations and product standards which are based on sound scientific information and balance the long-term need for a strong economy and healthy environment
- To actively support the reuse and recycling of treated wood products
The Western Wood Preservers Institute believes the information contained on this website to be based on up-to-date scientific and economic information and is intended for general informational purposes. In furnishing this information, the Institute makes no warranty or representation, either expressed or implied, as to the reliability or accuracy of such information; nor does the Institute assume any liability resulting from use of or reliance upon the information by any party. The contents of this website should not be construed as a specific endorsement or warranty, direct or implied, of treated wood products or preservatives in terms of performance, environmental impact or safety. The information contained herein should not be construed as a recommendation to violate any federal, provincial, state or municipal law, rule or regulation, and any party using or producing pressure treated wood products should review all such laws, rules or regulations prior to using or producing preservative treated wood products.